We provide on-going planning to prevent and prepare for large-scale emergencies in Maricopa County. On a daily basis we:
- Assist in the uninterrupted and consistent operation of government for Maricopa County and its cities, towns and fire districts.
- Conduct training, drills and exercises for natural, man-made, and technological threats and hazards.
- Coordinate off-site planning for the Palo Verde Generating Station (PVGS) in conjunction with the Arizona Department of Emergency and Military Affairs (DEMA).
- Develop and maintain Emergency Operations Plans (EOPs) and Emergency Response Plans (ERPs) for Maricopa County and its cities, towns and fire districts.
- Develop and maintain the Multi-Jurisdictional Hazard Mitigation Plan (MJHMP), a preventative plan to reduce the risk to people and property.
- Maintain and test communications and warning systems to ensure rapid and accurate notifications.
- Provide preparedness information to residents of Maricopa County via public outreach events and social media
- Coordinate response and recovery activities during and after emergencies.
Emergency Management seeks to create safer, resilient communities in Maricopa County with the capacity to respond to, cope with, and recover from hazards and disasters.
Emergency Management protects communities by coordinating and integrating all activities necessary to build, sustain, and improve the capability to mitigate against, prepare for, respond to, and recover from threatened or actual natural disasters, acts of terrorism, or other man-made disasters.
What is Emergency Management?
Emergency Management is a system designed to handle large-scale emergencies and disasters. It is divided into four parts or phases: mitigation (prevention), preparedness, response and recovery. In the event that a disaster occurs, we will coordinate response personnel and resources to address existing damage and assist in recovery efforts to return the community back to its pre-disaster state.
Watch "The Essential Emergency Manager" video for a great description of how Emergency Management works.